Pages

Monday 21 October 2013

a little inspiration.

My wee Granny, was 4ft 11” of true inspiration. The real deal when it came to thrifting, baking, sewing and knitting; past-times she indulged in daily, some through necessity and all through love. It is the time spent with her as a child which has stayed with me and inspired me now in my late 30’s and with little ones of my own, to create, sew and bake with and for my boys.

She was a mother of 6 and granny of many, she made old fashioned home cooked food, baked her own treats, ran the errands – little trolley in tow, mended the clothes by hand and held down a job. Sometimes we chuckled at the home made gifts like the pom-pom poodle toilet roll holders or brightly coloured knitted jumpers but all were received with love and gratitude. How I wish the many handmade kimonos and appliqued pinafores and funny gifts that were crafted with her tiny nimble fingers had been kept somewhere dear to bring out and cherish once again with my children. I strive now to treasure the little things and little moments with my children as well as my passion for fabric, crafting and all things vintage and “granny” and will always remember being taught to sew on her big Singer sewing machine and having the honour of licking the spoon when making her famous shortbread.

All that remains physically now is a cookbook hand written by her in the year before her passing, (many of the much devoured delicious recipes I was lucky enough to cook with her during that time), her well used scales passed down from her mother and now to me and her mums pretty floral china which I love. I can still smell the distinctive butter and sugar mix and a little of my granny's baking magic when I open the little tin of weights.

I made this little wall hanging a while back for my mum, it's really important to let people know "they are loved" x
 

No comments:

Post a Comment